|Part Number(s):||1234906015 - muffler, 1234905615 - resonator, 1234908219 - downpipe/header|
|Part Cost:||$300+ for the entire set. ~$100 each part (3)|
|Best Place to buy:||Standard places|
|Cost to Have it done in a shop:||$|
|How long it may take:||3 hours|
|Frequency:||whenever it's rusted|
|Special tools needed:|
This is the hanger kit you need for the header:
Replacing the entire exhaust is pretty easy and intuitive. There are no special tools required. I used a Racket, Wrench, Hammer and of course, 4 car jack stands and a 4 ton jack. It's much more easy to work under a car when it's up 2 feet.
There are (3) Three main parts to your exhaust
1. Header (Or downpipe)
Undoubtedly, a huge source of noise can you your Mercedes exhaust, especially if it's as old as the are, and you live in a state with snow, and therefore, SALT! When there is significant temperature drop, moisture forms, where there is moisture and heat and metal. we get RUST.
4. You will also most likely need new 4 new exhaust donuts, and if you're replacing the header or downpipe the header kit( . There is 2 kinds, the "Soft" and "Hard". Get the HARD ONES. I used the soft ones and they failed in less than 1 year. How embarrassing would it be to have your exhaust dragging on the ground behind you?
They run about $100 each-new. I only replaced the resonator and muffler. This is because it's only when the heat drops dramatically that you get moisture and rust, and this usually after the header. Just look at your, it's usually not the rusty. But if it is, replace it! I got mine off a wrecked Mercedes, that had it on for about 300 miles, good enough for me.
1. Jack up your car, put it on 4 jack stands.
You may want to prop the Exhaust up on some wood blocks, so it doesn't com crashing down.
2. Take off the two big bolts at the end of the header. Or if you're just replacing the muffler or exhaust, take off the two bolts at in between the resonator and muffler.
3. Cut the donuts holding the muffler up.
4. Move out of the way. :)
5. Now you just have put them all back together, two people is a real help to hold up the muffler when you put
6. You will need to also put on the 4 exhaust donuts. It's intuitive.
This may quiet down your car quiet a bit, but I went one step a further.
If you are observant, you will notice two things wrapped around the pipe, left of the resonator. These were my test strips for my 3M Heat/Sound shield project. I was testing it shiny side in/shinny side out to see which one lasted longer. Read on about the Quieter Exhaust Mod I did to use the 3M stuff.